Inflation continues to rise for basic food staples and groceries. Here at Stor.ai, an ecommerce platform for grocery chains, we crunched our supermarket transactions for the past 12 months. To arrive at these results, Stor.ai reviewed over sixty million (60,000,000) items purchased, representing more than three hundred million dollars ($300,000,000) in grocery purchases worldwide.
Stor.ai data confirms that consumers are spending more per item while buying fewer items.
September displayed another harsh month for grocery inflation said Charlie Wright IV, US President of stor.ai. The data underscores the need for customer loyalty discounts and digital coupons along with less expensive grocery delivery options such as curbside pickup.
Average Cost per item:
- Average cost per grocery item in September 2022 = $5.81, an increase of 12.1% since September 2021
- Average cost per grocery item in January 2022 = $5.26
- Average cost per grocery item in September 2021 = $5.20
Average Cost per order:
- Average order size in September 2022 = $185.77, an increase of 7% since January 2022
- Average order in January 2022 = $173.70
- Average order size in September 2021 = $172.06
Average Items per cart:
- Average number of items in cart September 2022 = 32, a decrease of 3% since January 2022
- Average number of items in cart in January 2022 = 33
- Average number of items in cart in September 2021 = 33.1